- string beans (about 8-10 strings) cut into 2-in length
- 1 eggplant, sliced
- 1/2 bitter gourd (I bought a big long one. We usually use the tiny round ones in Ilocos)
- 5 okra
- 5 chili peppers
- 2 big tomatoes, pulped, or cut
- 2 tsp bagoong (we have the shiokara (塩辛) here. it is milder than the normal Ilocano bagoong)
- 1/4 ginger, julliened or just cut
- Put all ingredients in a pot. You can dilute the bagoong in water but make sure that there won`t be too much liquid to simmer the mixture in. I always see to it that the total liquid won`t exceed half of the height of the mixed veggies. My mom always said to put a bit of salt in the tomatoes and mash and squeeze with your hands to get the juice out.
- Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or less. See if the veggies have been cooked enough. Add salt to taste. If you have to mix the veggies, mix them before cooking it. Don`t mix it while it is simmering, it will bring out the bitterness of the gourd. If you have to, then just toss it holding on to the handle of the pot. With the lid on of course.
Share It To Your Friends!