- peanut oil for deep-frying
- 1 lb firm tofu, rinsed and cut into bitesize cubes
- 1 Thai chili, seeded and chopped
- 1 oz fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, skinned, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- mint leaves and strips of red chili, to garnish
- Heat enough oil for deep-frying in a wok or heavy pan. Fry the tofu, in batches, until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- Reserve 2 tbsp oil in the wok. Add the shallots, chili, ginger and garlic and stir fry until fragrant. Stir in the tomatoes, fish sauce and sugar. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes until it resembles a sauce. Stir in half a cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Season with a little pepper and return tofu to the pan. Mix well and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes to heat through. Garnish with mint leaves and chili strips and serve immediately.
Share It To Your Friends!