- 3 whole eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plain flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2/3 cup of strong Espresso coffee
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Marsala wine or brandy
- 1/2 pound Mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup superfine (icing) sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons Marsala wine, Cognac or Brandy
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered (icing) sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ounce chilled dark chocolate, finely chopped (you can use a food processor
- To make the cake: Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9 inch diameter round cake pan or 8 inch by 8 inch rectangular cake pan with vegetable oil and lightly dust with cake flour. Beat the eggs and 1/3 cup of sugar at medium speed in a double boiler over very hot water, until the mixture is smooth and pale yellow in color.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar and beat at high speed until the mixture reaches a consistency that forms ribbons when poured. Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla extract, and slowly fold in the cake flour. Fold in the melted butter. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake at 350° F for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately turn the cake out of the pan onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make the coffee mixture: Mix the sugar into the coffee. Evaporate down (by boiling) the coffee-sugar mixture until only 1/3 cup remains. Add the Marsala wine or brandy and stir.
- To make the Mascarpone cream: In a bowl, beat the sugar into the Mascarpone cheese until well blended. Add the 2 egg yolks and Marsala, Cognac or brandy and beat more, until the mixture is smooth.
- To prepare the whipped cream: In a bowl add the whipping cream, sugar and vanilla bean and stir until ingredients are blended. Beat the mixture with an electric mixer until glossy and stiff.
- Tiramisu Assembly: Slice the cake in half, to make two cakes of half the original height. Place the first slice of the cake at the bottom of a serving bowl or pan and sprinkle half of the coffee mixture over it. Spread half of the Mascarpone crème on the cake, using a spatula. Spread half of the whipped cream over the Mascarpone cream and sprinkle half of the chocolate gratings over the whipped cream. Put the second slice of the Genoise cake on top and repeat the above procedure with the coffee mixture, Mascarpone, whipped cream and chocolate gratings to finish the Tiramisu. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
Share It To Your Friends!