- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 pound mild Italian sausage, (removed from casing and crumbled)
- One 25-ounce jar tomato sauce
- 1 package no-boil lasagna noodles
- 5 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 cups shredded cheese, (I made a four-cheese mix that included mozzarella, cheddar, Monterey Jack and Parmesan
- 1 bunch fresh basil or parsley leaves, torn by hand (optional, if it’s in season)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and saute until they are soft, about 10 minutes. Add crumbled sausage and lower heat to medium. Continue cooking until sausage is cooked through, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes. Add tomato sauce to pan and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Spread a thin layer of tomato and meat sauce on the bottom of a 9×9 pan. Top with a layer of uncooked noodles (you may have to break a few to fill in the gaps) and scatter with torn basil or parsley leaves (optional). Add a few big dollops of ricotta on top of the noodles, spreading it around a bit, and follow with a few big dollops of sauce, which you’ll also spread around a bit. Sprinkle with a little shredded cheese and top with another layer of noodles. Continue layering until you've almost filled the pan, finishing with a layer of sauce. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons water.
- Cover pan with foil and slide it into the oven. Cook for 40 minutes. Turn heat up to 450°F (232°C), remove foil from pan, cover with more cheese and allow to cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve hot, sprinkled with freshly chopped parsley.
Source: Fearless Fresh
Share It To Your Friends!