for Laksa Paste
- 8 small dried red chillies (soaked in a bowl of water for 30 minutes)
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp (soaked in a bowl of water for 30 minutes)
- 5 red Asian shallots, chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped galangal
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large lemongrass stalks, trimmed, chopped
- 1 tbsp belachan/dried shrimp paste (see post)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
for the Prawn Laksa
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 2 tablespoons of laksa paste
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoon grated palm sugar
- 450 grams chicken thigh fillets, thinly sliced
- 10-12 prawns,shelled and tails left intact
- 1 can 400ml coconut milk
- 10-12 fish balls (see tips below)
- 150 grams tofu puffs, sliced (see tips)
- 200 grams bean sprouts
- 500 grams thin rice noodles
for Laksa Paste
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor (or Thermomix) and process until smooth. Keep in air tight container in the fridge until ready for use.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or pot. Add the laksa paste and cook, stirring until fragrant.
- Add stock and stir to combine. Add more laksa paste if preferred. Bring to a simmer then add chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the prawns and cook for another minute until chicken is cooked and prawns half way through.
- Add the coconut milk, fish balls, tofu puffs and bean sprouts.
- Stir to combine then bring to a simmer until prawns are cooked.
- Cook the rice noodles separately in a different pot. Drain.
- Spoon the cooked rice noodles into individual bowls, pour over the laksa with and garnish according to preference.
- To serve - garnish with fried Asian shallots, mint leaves and a teaspoon of shrimp paste or sambal, and a lime/lemon wedge on the side
Source: Adobo Down Under
Share It To Your Friends!