- 1/3 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 1/3 cup mayo (You’ll need more mayo to assemble the sandwiches)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices rye bread
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 Tablespoons mayo
- Sauce: Combine the Thousand Island and 1/3 cup mayo in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to assemble the sandwiches.
- Veggies: Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a large pan. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes on medium or until the mushrooms are soft. Remove to a bowl.
- Add the remaining Tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the sliced onions and cook on medium for about 10 minutes, until soft and translucent. Some browning is fine. Remove to a bowl.
- Remove the skillet from heat but keep it handy.
- Patties: Mix the ground chuck, ketchup, beef broth, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl and combine thoroughly. Shape into four patties.
- Heat your skillet back up over medium heat and cook the chuck patties about 4 minutes per side. Remove the patties to a plate and wipe out your skillet.
- To assemble: Lay out 4 slices of rye bread and spread with some of the sauce. Add one patty, 1 slice of Swiss cheese, 1 slice of cheddar, some of the mushrooms and some of the onions. Lay out the next four slices, spread some sauce on them and put them on the patties sauce side down.
- Coat the outsides of the sandwiches with the 4 Tablespoons of mayo. Heat your skillet back up to medium low and cook the sandwiches about 4 minutes per side until the outsides are crusty and golden and the cheese inside is melted.
Source: A Table At Robert Ridge
Share It To Your Friends!