FOR THE CAKE
- 1/2 cup butter 125 grams
- 2 cups flour 280 grams
- 1 tablespoon baking powder 15 grams
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 grams
- 1 1/2 cups sugar 300 grams
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup milk 245 grams
- 1 teaspoon vanilla 5 grams
- 1/2 cup butter 125 grams, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese 125 grams
- 5 cups powdered sugar 1 kilo
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla 2 1/2 ml
- 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 gram
- 1/4 cup half and half 60 grams
- 1-2 cups coconut flakes 75-150 grams
- Pre-heat oven to 350°(180° celsius), lightly grease with butter and flour two 8 or 9 inch cake pans.
- In a medium bowl at medium speed beat together butter and sugar for 2 minutes until combined then add eggs and beat, combine well.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. then gradually add flour mixture, beating on low until combined. Add milk and vanilla and continue beating until combined.
- Divide batter into prepared pans. Bake until golden (use toothpick to test for doneness), approximately 30-35 minutes. Remove and let cool completely on wire racks.
- In a medium bowl beat together butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed until creamy approximately 1 minute. Lower speed to medium and add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, beat well after each addition. Add salt, half and half and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- To frost the cake, place the first layer on a large plate top side down, spread with approximately 1 cup of frosting, place the second cake top side down and frost with remaining frosting.
- Cover cake with coconut flakes. (we did it with small handfuls and packed it lightly against the cake). Enjoy!
Source: An Italian In My Kitchen
Share It To Your Friends!