FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 4 small chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 4 teaspoons dijon mustard divided
- 6 slices Swiss cheese halved (or Jarlsberg)
- 4 slices ham
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs*
- 1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs*
- 2 cups broccoli florets** (add more if desired -- or another veg)
- 2 cups cauliflower florets** (add more if desired -- or another veg)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, fresh grated (OPTIONAL)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk, 2%, skim or full cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chicken or vegetable stock powder
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, fresh grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, optional, for garnish
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Arrange shelf to the middle of your oven. Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Spray a large baking sheet with non stick cooking oil spray. Set aside.
- Season chicken breast with salt, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder. Slice a pocket into the largest side of each breast.
- Spread the inside of each pocket with 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard per breast. Place 3 cheese halves and one slice of ham slice into each breast. Fold the edges of the chicken to cover the filling and seal with toothpicks.
- In one shallow bowl, whisk the eggs. In another bowl, add the Panko and the seasoned breadcrumbs; mixing them well. Dip each breast into the egg wash first and then dredge in the breadcrumbs to fully coat.
- Add enough oil to cover the base of a frying pan. Fry the chicken in batches of two, for ABOUT 4 minutes each side, until the crumbs are golden (it doesn't matter if the chicken is not cooked through, you will continue baking in the oven).
- Once golden browned, use tongs to arrange chicken in the middle of the baking sheet. Continue with VEG.
- After breading, arrange chicken in the middle of the baking sheet and spray generously with cooking oil spray, completely soaking the crumbs (this helps the crumbs turn a nice golden brown colour during baking). Continue with VEG.
- Add the broccoli and cauliflower into a bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt, pepper and the remaining 1 teaspoon garlic powder. Mix well with your hands.
- Arrange the vegetables around the chicken on the baking sheet (if you don't have enough room for the vegetables, use a second baking sheet). Sprinkle the vegetables with 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese (If desired).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is golden and cooked through, and the vegetables are tender.
- Remove toothpicks from the chicken and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving with the Dijon Cream Sauce.
- While chicken is in the oven:
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Reduce heat down to low, whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add half the milk and whisk until the flour mixture is smooth and blended.
- Add remaining milk, mustard, stock powder and parmesan, and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes while whisking until thickened. Keep in mind the sauce with continue to thicken as it cools. Add in extra milk only if needed, in 1-2 tablespoonful increments, until reaching your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the parsley, if desired. Serve with chicken and veg.
Source: Cafe Delites
Share It To Your Friends!