- 2 large vine tomatoes , de-seeded and chopped
- 1 pink or white onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon mild chilli powder
- 2 X 160 g tins of tuna chunks in brine or sunflower
- 1 small maggi (stock cube)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- 500 g (4 cups plus 2 tablespoons) self raising flour
- pinch of salt
- 120 g (1/2 cup) lard, soft and at room temp
- 120 g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, soft and at room temp
- 12 tablespoons very cold water
- Pour a little oil to a large frying pan and heat up. Add the onions and cook on medium heat until it soften, stirring in between.
- Add curry powder and mix into onions.
- Mix in chopped tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Drain tuna of brine or oil and add to mixture. Stir in all purpose spice, maggi (stock cube) and salt. Leave over low heat for about 2 minutes so spices an permeate. Remove from heat and leave to cool, then stir in chopped coriander.
- Sift flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Chop lard and butter into little cubes.
- Add fat to the flour. Rub in using your fingertips. Add cold water a little at a time until dough comes together. Use your fingers to bring the pastry together.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead very lightly.
- Wrap dough in cling film and place in fridge to rest for 30 minutes.
- To assemble
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface. Rolling should be be carried out in short, sharp strokes, with light, even pressure in a forward movement only. Turn the pastry as you roll.
- Cut circles in the dough and place a quarter cup of curry tuna in the centre of the circle.
- Fold dough over making it into a semicircle. Take a pastry brush and dip in water and moisten edges of dough circle then pinch sides together with a fork. Use a fork and poke holes on the top of the curry tuna pies.
- Place pies on baking tray.
- Brush the tops of curry tuna pies with egg wash and bake in oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until the pies are golden brown.
Source: Bakes By Chichi
Share It To Your Friends!