- 2 kgs beef shank marrow intact
- 1 tbsp whole peppercorns
- 4 pcs sweet corn cobs, each cob cut into 3 equal parts
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp garlic crushed
- 6 pcs banana, saba variety unpeeled but cut into half
- 1/2 head of a cabbage cut in pieces
- 3 tbsps patis or fish sauce
- 2 pcs. beef broth cubes
- 1 cup spring onions
- Pour 2 liters of boiling water over your beef shanks before cooking. Discard the water after 2 minutes.
- Boil 4 liters of water in a wood stove. Cooking the bulalo in wood will give it the best smokey flavor. Once it boils add in your garlic and onions.
- Add your beef shanks. Slow cook for 1 hour. Add 1 cup of water every 30 mins.
- Add in 2 beef broth cubes and 3 tbsps of patis. The beef broth cubes are actually optional, but it can add more beef flavor to your soup.
- Once it boils again, add in your peppercorns.
- Skim off any scum as your water continues to boil.
- After another hour of slow cooking, add in your banana and sweet corn cobs. Leave the bananas unpeeled but cut them in half. You can peel them off when you eat.
- After approximately 30 mins., skim off excess scum, season to taste and take it out of the fire.
- Add in your cabbage and spring onions. Cover for 5 mins. and serve hot.
Source: Istoryang Kusina
Share It To Your Friends!