- 6 chicken drumsticks and 6 chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 Tbsp curry powder (preferably Madras, but any will do)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (we skipped this due to the kids)
- 1 (14.5oz) can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15oz) can light coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Coat bottom of a 5-7 quart stew pot or dutch oven with a small amount of oil and set over medium high heat. Add chicken skin side down without crowding, in batches if necessary, and cook until skin is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn the pieces over and cook until they are brown on the other side, about 5 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- When the chicken is all browned, add the onion to the pot and cook, stirring for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and ginger to the pot and cook, stirring, until the they are soft about 1 more minute. Add the curry powder, cumin, cayenne, and 1/2 tsp salt and cook for 30 seconds until the spices are fragrant then add the tomatoes and 1 cup of coconut milk. Stir well and let them come to a boil.
- Return the chicken and any juices to the pot. Surround the chicken with the sauce so that the topmost skin is exposed. If there is not enough liquid to bring the sauce almost up to the top of the chicken, add as much of the remaining coconut milk as needed. Reduce heat to simmer and cook uncovered about 45 minutes. Stir in the peas and cilantro, cover, and cook until the peas are hot, about 5 minutes more. Test the chicken by cutting to the bone, if needed continue to cook, covered, until chicken is done. (To save our kids from having to cut the chicken from the bone, we took the chicken out, cut it into bite size pieces, then returned it to the pot for about 5 minutes of additional cooking.)
- Serve hot over rice and with a vegetable side.
Source: Cook Eat Share
Share It To Your Friends!