- 2 lbs. mussels, rinsed and cleaned (all beards removed)
- 3 tbsp. organic butter or ghee
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups fish or free range chicken stock
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine or 2 cups beer or 1 cup Bristol Cream sherry
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 package non-GMO extra firm tofu, sliced thin or cut into small cubes (optional)
- 1/4 cup pimientos
- 1 chile de árbol or Thai pepper, finely diced
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley leaves and stems, chopped ( you can also use cilantro)
- 1/4 tsp. mace
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- Keep your mussels cold and wrapped until ready for use. When ready to prepare them, rinse them under cold water in a collander . Remove their beards, the hairlike black strands that some of them may still have attached, and discard the beards. Return the clean mussels to the refrigerator.
- In a large stock pot, melt the butter or ghee over medium heat. Add the mace and allspice.
- Once the butter or ghee has melted, add the mushrooms, shallots, celery, garlic and diced chiles. Stir until the shallots begin to caramelize but before the garlic gets overcooked. Garlic burns easily.
- Add the stock (fish or chicken) and coconut milk. This will stop the garlic from burning. Turn the heat down to medium low. Let simmer 2-3 minutes with the pot covered.
- Add the wine, beer or sherry. Let simmer 4-5 more minutes.
- Making sure to use only mussels that are closed or will close when their shell is tapped a few times, add the mussels. Simmer another 3-5 minutes, or until the mussels open. You may have to stir after 2 minutes to make sure all of the mussels are getting access to even heat.
- Add the parsley and stir to distribute evenly.
- Discard the mussels that did not open. Remove from heat and let the broth cool for a few minutes to let the flavors blend.
- Serve in a wide rimmed bowl with garnish of Italian parsley, lemon slices and crusty bread. We used toasted ciabatta rolls sliced in half with excellent results. Enjoy!
Source: Corazon En Un Platillo
Share It To Your Friends!