- 1 cup (5 ounces) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (1 ½ ounces) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups packed (10 ½ ounces) brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 4 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) confectioners' sugar
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in bowl.
- Whisk brown sugar; eggs; espresso powder; and vanilla together in large bowl. Combine chocolate and butter in bowl and microwave at 50 percent power, stirring occasionally, until melted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk chocolate mixture into egg mixture until combined. Fold in flour mixture until no dry streaks remain. Let dough sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. The dough will be very soft and somewhat sticky.
- Place granulated sugar and confectioners' sugar in separate shallow dishes. Working with 2 tablespoons dough -or use #30 scoop, drop dough balls directly into granulated sugar and roll to coat. The sugar will prevent dough from sticking to your hands.Transfer dough balls to confectioners' sugar and roll to coat evenly. Evenly space dough balls on prepared sheets, 11 per sheet.
- Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until puffed and cracked and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will look raw between cracks and seem underdone), about 12 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking. Let cool completely on sheet before serving.
Source: Cook Like James
Share It To Your Friends!