- 500 grms beef, diced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup firmly packed soft brown sugar
- 2 onions, 1 chopped, 1 finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 star anise
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp thinly sliced spring onion (scallion), to serve
- Put the beef, soy sauce, pepper, sugar, chopped onion and star anise in a large saucepan with 4 cups water.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, or until the meat is tender (this will vary depending on the cut used).
- Allow the meat to cool in the liquid, then lift out the beef and reserve the stock.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over low heat. Add the finely chopped onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add the drained, cooked beef and cook, stirring, for a few minutes, then add the reserved stock and simmer until the liquid has thickened and reduced.
- Garnish with the spring onion and serve with fried rice and soup.
Source: Kusina 101
Share It To Your Friends!