- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets, stems trimmed off
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs (I recommend Kikkoman brand)
- 2 large eggs, whisked
for the sauce:
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (regular soy sauce will make your sauce saltier and darker in color)
- 2 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 6 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice (slightly less than 1 orange)
- 2 tsp grated orange zest
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 10 tbsp water + 5 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set whisked eggs aside in a small bowl. Set panko crumbs aside in a separate bowl. Dip cauliflower pieces in egg and then roll in panko until fully coated and place on a baking sheet. (Please see tips below for coating cauliflower). Repeat until all cauliflower is coated.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until coating is a dark golden brown and crunchy.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, make sauce on the stove. Add all sauce ingredients except the cornstarch + water. Bring to a simmer and stir until completely mixed. In a small bowl, completely dissolve cornstarch in water, then add to the mixture. Stir until sauce reaches a simmer again and cook until sauce thickens (about 1-2 minutes). Pour sauce over cauliflower. Garnish with fresh chopped scallions if desired.
Coating cauliflower tips:
- Make sure that you thoroughly whisk your eggs. Unwhisked egg whites will be slippery and likely slide right off the cauliflower.
- Make sure to fully coat the cauliflower in egg. Also, let any excess egg drip back into your egg bowl to avoid adding extra moisture to your panko bread crumbs. When moisture hits the panko, it tends to clump up and doesn't stick as well onto the cauliflower. Obviously, you will have to bring in some moisture from the egg on the cauliflower, but you want to avoid excess dripping liquid egg as then too much of your panko crumbs will clump up and you won't have enough to coat your cauliflower.
Source: Kirbie Cravings
Share It To Your Friends!