- 2 yellow onions
- 1 Tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 pound ground beef, shaped into 4 patties about 1½" thick
- Optional: 4 slices cheese, see notes, omit for dairy free and Paleo
- 8 leaves green leaf lettuce, washed and dried, or iceberg if preferred
- 2 slicing tomatoes, sliced, 10 ounces
- 4 dill pickles thinly sliced
- 2 Teaspoons yellow mustard
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon pickle relish
- ½ Teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ Teaspoon apple cider vinegar, or lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon minced dill pickle
- Start by heating a 9" cast iron skillet over medium heat, and while it heats prepare the onions. Cut off both ends, and peel away the tough outer layers. Then cut them in half from the top to the bottom, and lay the halves flat side down on the cutting board. Thinly slice across the rounded top of the onion halves.
- Add the oil to the heated pan along with the sliced onions, and cook over medium or medium-low until the onions become softened and browned, about 20-30 minutes. Season to taste with sea salt and set the onions aside. You will have about 1 cup of caramelized onions.
- Preheat the grill over medium heat until it reaches a steady temperature of 350-400ºF. While the grill heats prepare the burger ingredients and mix together your choice of secret sauce recipes. For the burgers, divide the yellow mustard equally between the 4 patties, about ½ Teaspoon per patty and spread it in a thin layer over one side of the burgers. You want to grill the mustard side down first.
- Grill the burgers for 6-10 minutes per side depending on desired doneness, adding the optional cheese slices halfway through the cooking time when you flip the burgers.
- When the burgers are done to your liking, serve them right away with all the toppings and secret sauce.
Share It To Your Friends!