- 3 lbs beef short ribs, bone in*
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 4 tbsp soy sauce (I used Bragg’s liquid aminos)
- 3 tsp coconut or avocado oil, divided
- 2 lbs brown mushrooms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large celery stalks, finely chopped
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes, low sodium
- 2 cups chicken stock, low sodium
- 2 tsp basil, dried
- 3/4 tsp salt**
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, add ribs, honey and soy cause. Mix with hands to coat evenly. Let marinate for 10-15 minutes while getting other ingredients ready.
- Preheat dutch oven on medium heat and swirl 2 tsp oil to coat. Working in batches, brown ribs for 3 minutes per side. Reserve marinade in the bowl and transfer browned ribs to it.
- Add mushrooms and let them brown a bit, cooking for about 5 minutes and stirring occasionally. They will get a nice flavour from previous sauce in the pot. Transfer mushrooms to a bowl with ribs.
- Swirl remaining 1 tsp oil and add onion and garlic. Sauce until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add previously cooked ribs, mushrooms, reserved marinade, diced tomatoes, chicken stock, basil, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Cover and let cook for 15 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place dutch oven in the oven and cook for 2.5 - 3 hours. Ribs should be tender and fall of the bone. Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot with your side of choice like brown rice, quinoa, mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower.
*Choose ribs with least amount of fat. Mine had barely any. **You might need to add less salt if using not low sodium diced tomatoes and chicken stock.
Source: I Food Real
Share It To Your Friends!