- ¼ cup butter
- 2 thinly sliced yellow onions
- 1½ cups diced ham
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese plus more for topping
- 3 thinly sliced large baking potatoes
- ⅓ cup light cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup shortening
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Put the flour and salt in a bowl, then cut in the shortening until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the water gradually, using a fork to mix it in, until the dough forms a ball.
- Roll out half of it on a floured worktop until you have enough to fit a deep 9-inch pie dish.
- Cover and refrigerate the pie crust and also wrap and refrigerate the other half of the dough for another pie.
- Sauté the onions and ham with the garlic in 2 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet until tender, then let the mixture cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sauté the potato slices in the rest of the butter until tender, then add salt and pepper
- Layer half of the cheese, potatoes and ham mixture in the pie crust, then repeat.
- Whisk the cream and eggs, then pour over the pie filling.
- Top with more grated swiss cheese
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until crust is golden brown and cheese throughout is bubbly.
Source: Girl Raised In The South
Share It To Your Friends!