- 4 cups sweet rice, soaked overnight in 8 cups water
- 3 cans (14 oz. can) coconut milk
- 2 cups brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 cup coconut cream
- Soak rice overnight. The next day, drain and set aside.
- Pour coconut milk and about a cup of water into a pot and let it come to a simmer over medium heat. When simmering, add soaked rice and stir constantly to prevent burning. Lower the heat if necessary. Preheat oven to 350F.
- When rice is fully cooked, sticky and almost dry (it will look like sticky risotto), about 10-15 minutes, add 1 cup brown sugar. (Note: If rice is already sticky but not yet fully cooked, add small amounts of water, stir and continue cooking. Rice must be fully cooked before it goes into the oven.) Stir well and take off heat. Pour into a lightly buttered 9×13 pan and smooth the top. Mix the remaining 1 cup brown sugar and coconut cream until smooth and pour it over the rice.
- Bake for about 1 hour or up to 1 1/2 hours, until topping is dark brown and has thickened. Cool slightly before serving.
Rice cooker method:
- For an alternate (easier) method, you will need 4 cups rice (soaked overnight and drained), 2 cups coconut cream, and 2 cups brown sugar.
- Prepare rice in a rice cooker on the “sweet rice” setting, using as much water as needed for 4 cups rice.
- When done, mix in 1 cup sugar and 1 cup coconut cream. Pour into greased 9×13 pan and smooth the top.
- Mix remaining 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup coconut cream until smooth, and pour over rice.
- Bake at 350ºF for about 1 hour or up to 1 1/2 hours, until topping is dark brown and has thickened.
Source: Ivory Hut
Share It To Your Friends!