- 4 chicken thighs with skin and bone
- 1/4 cup dried wood ear mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 a large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons shiro miso
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- sliced green onions for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Pat chicken dry, then roast, skin side up, shallow baking pan or dish until skin is golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
- While chicken roasts, soak wood ear mushrooms and shiitakes in hot water until softened. When soft, cut the stems off the shiitakes and slice. Set aside.
- Transfer roasted chicken to a bowl and pour pan juices through a fine-mesh sieve into a glass measure. Let stand until fat rises to top, 1 to 2 minutes, then skim off and discard fat. Add enough stock to bring a cup of liquid.
- Reduce oven to 300°F.
- Heat oil in a small heavy pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then sauté onions until softened and beginning to brown. Add ginger, and garlic and sauté until garlic is golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add mirin and boil, stirring and scraping up any brown bits, 1 minute. Stir in miso and soy sauce, then stir in chicken, wood ear mushrooms, shiitakes, and stock mixture. Bring to a boil, skimming off any froth.
- Cover pot and braise in oven until chicken is tender, about 1 hour.
- Serve in shallow bowls with white rice.
Source: Momofuku For 2
Share It To Your Friends!