- 400grams chicken thigh fillets, cut into 1-1.5 inch cubes (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 2tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1teaspoon finely chopped spring onion
- 1cup tapioca starch
- 1/2tablespoon Shoaxing wine
- 1/2teaspoon sugar
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/8teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2teaspoons light soy sauce
- 2 star anise2tablespoons maltose
- 3tablespoons honey
- 1tablespoon plum sauce
- 1tablespoon chili sauce
- 50milliliters water
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a bowl. Coat the marinade ingredients with cut chicken. Set aside for 1 hour.
- About 15 minutes before cooking, remove chicken from the fridge to bring to room temperature. Heat wok with sufficient oil to deep-fry. Coat chicken pieces with tapioca starch and deep-fry till crispy, golden brown and cooked through. Remove, drain and set aside.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a separate bowl, except star anise. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok and saute star anise until fragrant. Pour in the sauce and bring to boil. Add fried chicken pieces and stir fry until the gravy is absorbed. To serve, sprinkle with sesame seeds and finely chopped spring onion. Oh, and don’t forget to accompany with a heaping serving of steamed rice!
Share It To Your Friends!