for the sticky rice cake
- 1/2 cups glutinous rice (some call it, sticky or sweet rice)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1- 200mL coconut cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (or 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup muscovado)
- 2 pandan leaves (screw pine leaves)
- 1 200mL coconut cream
- Wash glutinous rice with plain water twice or thrice.
- In a thick bottom pan, simmer together 2 cups of coconut milk, 1-200mL coconut cream, brown sugar and pandan. Simmer until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add washed rice stirring constantly. Cook this in low heat until rice resembles the consistency of a risotto, about 30 minutes.
- In a separate pan, simmer the remaining 200mL coconut cream in low heat. Cream will solidify and coconut oil will be produced. Keep on stirring until you create brown coconut solids. Set aside including oil. Careful not to burn.
- Going back to the simmering sticky rice - After about 25 minutes or so, rice will become very sticky and is difficult to stir. This is the indication that the dish is ready to be transferred to a pan. Turn of heat and set aside.
- Over gas flame, heat banana leaf just enough to soften it and release it's aroma. Careful not to burn it.
- Line pan with the pre-heated banana leaf and transfer cooked sticky rice. Flatten rice and top with latik (fried coconut milk solids)
- Cool and serve though some (like me) want ot warm.
Source: My Twisted Recipes
Share It To Your Friends!