- Olive oil
- Stewing steak
- Beef stock
- Veg stock
- Tomato puree
- Grainy mustard
- Sautee onion and celery in olive oil for a few minutes, then add the steak and some crushed garlic.
- Add the steak, turning the pieces over until each side is a bit browned, then pour in beef stock and simmer.
- Cut the potatoes into chunks, toss in olive oil and put in a roasting tin.
- Prep the veg and then cook in a little olive oil in a wide frying pan. Start with the leeks, when they are a bit soft add the carrots and a pint or so of veg stock, simmer.
- Add tomato puree to the stew, stir it around a bit - add more stock, water or red wine if its looking too dry.
- Add cabbage to the veg mix.
- This will probably have taken about 15 minutes - so, turn the heat off the veg and make a cup of tea.
- 15 minutes later put the potatoes in a medium hot oven to roast - for about an hour and 15 minutes.
- Now is the time you get to read that book, do the crossword, put your feet up and watch the soaps .. or whatever (check on the stew now and again to check it hasn't gone dry).
- one hour later - pop the veg in the oven to warm up - stir a big spoonful of grainy mustard into the stew - and toss the potatoes around a bit. 15 minutes to dinner ...
- Serve, scoff ... 2 of us ate enough for 4, but that's another story
Source: Kitchen Fairies
Share It To Your Friends!