- 500gms pork belly, cut into cubes (2"x2") or any pork parts with fats
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped shallots or red onion
- 6 gloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 4 pcs star anise
- 8 large dried shitake mushrooms, soaked in water to soften, squeeze excess liquid then cut into strips
- 1 Tbps dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp rock salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper (black pepper will do if you do not have white)
- 1 liter water
- Over medium flame, heat oil in a sauce pan and fry shallots until fragrant, add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add star anise and coriander. Cook for another minute.
- Add your mushrooms and pork. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until pork looses its outer pink color.
- Add soy sauce, sugar, pepper and water.
- Bring to boil then reduce to simmer. Cook covered for 1.5 hours (or until pork is very tender) stirring occasionally to prevent from burning.You can skip step 6 and 7 if you wish, though it's recommended you do.
- Set aside for at least an hour at room temperature for flavors to develop.
- Reheat and serve hot.
Source: My Twisted Recipes
Share It To Your Friends!