- White Fish- 500 gm
- Nigella seeds/ Kalonji- 1 tsp
- Onion chopped- 1/4 cup
- Tomato paste- 2 tsp from tube optionak- 1 grated tomato
- Mustard paste - 2 tsp
- Water to mix- 1/4 cup
- Green chilli- 1
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder- 11/2 tsp
- Chilli powder- 1/2 tsp
- Fresh coriander, chopped- 2 tsp
- Cut the fish into 1 1/2 – 2 inch pieces. Apply salt and leave aside for 10-15 minutes. This gets rid of the excess water.
- Now apply 3/4 tsp turmeric powder to the fish and fry lightly till the fish is slightly golden.
- Mix the mustard paste with 3-4 tsp water in a bowl. Keep aside.
- Now, heat oil in a pan. Add in nigella seeds. Let fry for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add in the chopped onions. Fry until soft.
- Add in the remaining turmeric and chilli powder. Mix well. Add 1/4 cup water. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the tomato paste. Mix well, add some salt and let cook for 2 minutes, if you are adding tomato paste. If you add raw tomato, however, please cover and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the tomato is cooked.
- Now add in the mustard paste mixed with water.
- Add in the fried fish and let cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the green chillies for flavour and garnish with coriander.
- Serve hot with some freshly cooked rice.
Source: Of Cloves And Capers
Share It To Your Friends!