- 1 pound shrimp, peeled, rinsed and deveined
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon mustard or other seed oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut or light sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 3-4 hot, dried, red chili peppers, torn or chopped
- 1 medium onion peeled, sliced, and separated into crescents
- 1 teaspoon garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ cups tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon tamarind paste dissolved into 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (15-20 sprigs)
- ¼ teaspoon Indian Garam Masala (see recipe below)
- Prepare shrimp or scallops and place into a bowl with the cayenne pepper, turmeric, and a pinch of salt. Stir well, cover, and set aside for at least 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat and when hot, sauté the fennel and mustard seeds for a minute or two. Add diced chili peppers and remove from the heat and set aside for a few minutes.
- Warm the sauté pan with the fennel and mustard seeds up again and add the onions and garlic. Stir and fry until the onions turn slightly brown. Now put in the cumin, coriander, and tomato and mix well. Cook 3-5 minutes to fully warm the spices. (If mixture is too dry, add a tablespoon or two of water.)
- Add tomato sauce, tamarind, lemon juice mixture, salt, and fresh cilantro leaves. Cover and gently simmer for 15 minutes. Add garam masala and shrimp and mix well. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until shrimp are fully cooked.
Source: Things Asian
Share It To Your Friends!