- 1.5 cups (375 ml) whole milk
- 3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
- 1.5 cups (125 g) coffee beans
- pinch of salt
- 1.5 cups (375 ml) double cream
- 5 egg yolks
- Heat the milk, sugar, coffee beans, salt and 1/2 cup (125 ml) of cream in a saucepan. Once warm (but not boiling), remove from heat, cover and let it steep for 1 hour or so.
- In one bowl, pour the remaining 1 cup (250ml) cream and set a strainer on top of it. In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks.
- Warm up the coffee-infused milk mixture and slowly pour it (beans and all) into the bowl with the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the mixture back into the saucepan.
- Warm the saucepan over median heat, stirring constantly with a spatula, until the mixture thickens and coats the spatula (you’ve just made custard!). Pour this custard through the strainer into the bowl with the cream and stir.
- Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator (I do this overnight) then freeze it in an ice cream maker
Source: Smarter Fitter
Share It To Your Friends!