- 2 pounds corned beef brisket excess fat trimmed and meat cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups cubed meat)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onion diced, ½” by ½” dice
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups red potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups carrots peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups butternut squash peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups unsalted beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups beer Guinness Draught
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon thyme fresh, minced
- 1 packet pickling spices (comes with corned beef- Optional)
- 6 tablespooons all-purpose flour
- 1 ear corn cut off kernels (or 1/2 cup canned corn)
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, minced
- Season corned beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. The corned beef cubes and brown on all sides, about 2 minutes each side, 8 minutes total. Work in batches if needed, keeping the meat in a single layer in the pan. Transfer to slow cooker.
- In a medium sized microwave dish, add onions, garlic, tomato paste and 1 tablespoon olive oil, stir to combine. Microwave for 5 minutes, stopping and stirring every two minutes. Onions should be tender. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add the potatoes, carrot and butternut squash to the slow cooker. Add beef stock, Guinness, brown sugar, thyme and pickling spices to the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 hours on high, or 6 to 7 hours on low. Potatoes should be fork tender.
- In a medium sized bowl combine 6 tablespoons flour with 3/4 cups of the hot stew liquid, whisk to combine. Pour into slow cooker, stir to combine. Add the corn kernels. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes. Stew liquid should thicken slightly. Stir and taste liquid, season with more salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve corned beef stew and garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Source: Jessica Gavin
Share It To Your Friends!