- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons of oil of your choice, divided
- 2 to 3 teaspoons of fajita or taco seasoning
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1 to 2 poblano peppers, diced
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can of fire roasted tomatoes (or regular canned tomatoes)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- Avocado and fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Place your chicken breasts in a large baking pan, and pour one tablespoon of oil over all, coating well. Sprinkle your fajita seasoning over the chicken, coating well, and place in the oven.
- Cook for about 30 to 45 minutes until cooked through and liquid from chicken runs clear. Remove the skin and bones from the chicken. Using two forks, shred the chicken. Meanwhile, in a large dutch oven over medium heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, and when hot, add in the onions.
- Cook until onions are translucent, about 4 to 6 minutes. Add in the garlic and peppers and saute for about 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant. Pour in the chicken stock and fire roasted tomatoes and bring to a medium boil.
- OPTIONAL: If you want a slightly thickened soup, strain out some of the tomatoes, onions and peppers to a blender and puree.
- Pour back into the broth mixture. Add the chicken, cilantro and lime juice to the pot. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with some fresh cilantro and chopped up avocado on top.
Source: Key Ingredient
Share It To Your Friends!