- 600 g beef cubes or short ribs ( it’s better to use beef with some bones or fat for a more flavorful broth; I just prefer mine without or with very little fat)
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 250g fresh young tamarind fruit
- kangkong (water spinach)
- green finger chillies
- string beans ( sitaw)
- gabi (taro)
- fish sauce ( patis)
- rice water ( optional)
- Put rice water if using or plain water, tomatoes and onion and tamarind in a large saucepan or big pot on high heat and bring to a boil. Heat grill and sear beef on both sides;
- Take tamarind out of the pan when they’re very soft. Put in a bowl and add some water from the pot and mash or pulp it with the back of spoon. Strain and add tamarind liquid to the pot.
- Add the beef, green finger chillies and gabi ( taro). Bring to boil on high heat then lower heat to medium and let it simmer until beef is tender.
- Add sitaw, if using then the okra; Season with fish sauce to taste and let it simmer/cook for about 5 minutes then add kangkong leaves; cook for about 3 more minutes then turn off the heat. Serve hot with steamed rice! Happy Eating!
Source:Home Cooking And Baking
Share It To Your Friends!