For the broth:
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp black bean paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 inch chunk of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 piece of lime peel - about 1 inch by 2 inches long
- 2 Tbsp sugar free fish sauce
- 6 cups beef stock or broth (homemade is best but canned will work)
- 1 inch piece of habanero, no seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp granulated sugar substitute
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 packs zero carb shiritake noodles
- 4 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 lb lean beef, thinly sliced (tenderloin, sirloin, or london broil)
- ½ cup shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh hot chili peppers, thinly sliced
- Fresh lime to garnish
For the broth:
- Heat sesame oil in a medium soup pot. Add the bean paste, garlic, ginger, and lime peel and saute for one minute or until fragrant.
- Add the fish sauce, beef stock, and habanero (if using.)
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes, preferably longer for the best flavor to develop.
- Strain out the bits so only the broth remains. Add the sugar substitute and lime juice to the broth. Taste and adjust to your preference for sweet and salty.
- Divide the noodles, cabbage, beef, mushrooms, cilantro, scallions and chili pepper slices between four large soup bowls.
- Bring the broth to a boil and pour (approximately 1.5 cups per bowl) over the soup ingredients. Let sit for 5 minutes before eating.
- Add the noodles, cabbage and mushrooms to the boiling broth and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro, scallions, chilis and fresh lime.
Source: I Breathe I'm Hungry
Share It To Your Friends!