- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp annato seeds, optional
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 c homemade sofrito
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 tsp sazon (I use 1 packet Badia)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 roasted red peppers, sliced into strips
- 2 c frozen peas
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add annatto and cook, stirring, until oil is colored, about 30-60 seconds. Be careful not to let the annatto brown as this will make the oil bitter. Remove the seeds with a slotted spoon.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium high and add chicken. Cook until browned, about 3-4 minutes per side. remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add sofrito and cook, stirring and scraping up brown bits from the pan, until most of the liquid is reduced. (I add my sofrito straight from the freezer.)
- Add rice, olives, cumin, and sazon. Cook, stirring, until rice is opaque. Add broth and nestle chicken in the liquid.
- Bring to a simmer and cover. Cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through, rice is tender, and liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in pepper strips and peas.
Source: Home Sweet Jones
Share It To Your Friends!