- 1 pound medium firm tofu, has to be medium firm or firm...soft will crumble!
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 scallion, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing cooking wine
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 large pieces of ginger, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Shiitake mushrooms
- 2/3 cup frozen veggies, thawed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup of water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Begin by prepping your tofu to be stuffed. Cut your tofu into thick, 2-inch squares. Using a melon baller or a spoon, carve out the center of the tofu, being very careful not to go all the way through the other side! Set aside. (You can keep the carved out tofu center and use them in the dish, too)
- For the pork filling, mix together all ingredients for the filling with your hands or spatula.
- Using about a tablespoon or more of filling, roll into a ball and gently press into the center of the tofu. Repeat until all tofu is filled and filling is mostly used up (see note below).
- In two separate bowls, add egg in one and flour in the other. Carefully cover the tofu in the egg then dredge it in flour on both sides. Repeat until all is covered lightly in flour.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to the pan. Carefully place the tofu into the skillet and cook on both sides for 2-3 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside on a plate. It won't be thoroughly cooked through but you'll cook it through later.
- In the same skillet, add scallions, ginger, garlic, mushrooms and frozen (thawed) veggies. Saute for 2-3 minutes then add the liquids. Let simmer for 2 minutes then add the tofu back into the sauce. Allow mixture to simmer for 7-10 minutes, or until pork is completely cooked through. I encourage flipping the tofu throughout the cooking process.
- Once done cooking, plate the tofu first then pour sauce all over the top!
Source: Table For Two
Share It To Your Friends!