- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 100g pancetta, finely chopped
- ½ cup tarragon leaves, chopped
- ½ cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 thick slice sourdough, torn in 2cm pieces
- 2½kg standing rib roast
- 1kg beetroot, washed and trimmed
- 100g baby beetroot leaves or baby spinach leaves, to serve
- Mashed potato, to serve
- Red Wine Jus
- 150g shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 180˚C. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and pancetta. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until golden. Place in a bowl to cool. Combine herbs, garlic, mustard and remaining oil in another bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of herb mix to rub on beef. Add sourdough and remaining herb mix to onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice a 10cm pocket in beef, between bones and flesh. Stuff with sourdough mix. Truss with kitchen string. Heat an oiled roasting pan over a high heat. Season beef well. Sear for 10 minutes, turning regularly, until browned all over. Rub with remaining herb mix. Roast beef for 1 hour 15 minutes for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Meanwhile, wrap beetroot in foil. Roast for 50 minutes, until tender. Remove foil, peel and cut in half. Set aside.
- When beef is done cover loosely with foil and rest for 25 minutes. Return pan to heat to make jus. Add shallots. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add wine, reduce by half. Add stock. Gentle boil for 10 minutes. Add balsamic and cornflour. Return to boil, stirring, for 2 minutes until thickened slightly. Serve beef with jus, mashed potato, beetroot and leaves.
Source: Mind Food
Share It To Your Friends!