- 2 beef shanks, cut into 1-2 thick slices
- 1-2 scallions, cut into 1 inch segments
- 2-3 slices of ginger, julienned
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- enough water to cover shank
- 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon black vinegar (or Worcestershire sauce)
- “coin sized” rock candy
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and quickly blanch the shanks for 1-2 minutes. Dump out this water and rinse the shanks.
- In a clean pot, place the shank pieces in one layer at the bottom of the pot. Add scallions, ginger, star anise, soy sauce, cooking wine, black vinegar, soy sauce, and enough water so that the shanks are covered.
- 3.Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered for 2-3 hours, or until the meat is very tender and soft.
- Remove the shank pieces and let cool overnight in the refrigerator.
- Thinly slice and serve! You can drizzle sesame oil (and possibly chili oil?) on top plus cilantro (or scallions).
Source: Tiny Urban Kitchen
Share It To Your Friends!