For the grits:
- 1 cup grits (NOT instant)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
For the shrimp and sausage:
- 1-2 links of andouille sausage
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 14 shrimp (6-7 shrimp per serving)
- Green onions, for garnish
- Begin by mixing the grits, water, salt, butter, and heavy cream in a saucepan and heat until boiling. Once it starts to boil, turn the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes and stirring occasionally. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add in the grated cheese and stir. If the grits are too thick, add a little water to thin them. Set aside.
- To begin, chop up the andouille sausage into small cubes, about 1/4″. Place in skillet over medium heat. Brown until crispy and remove sausage.
- In the same pan with the drippings from the sausage, add the butter. Melt down and then add the heavy cream. Let the cream heat up and start to bubble, constantly stirring. Once the sauce has thickened, about 4-5 minutes, add the uncooked shrimp and the sausage back in. Cook until shrimp has been cooked through, being careful not to overcook. Divide the cheesy grits into individual bowls and spoon the sausage and shrimp sauce over each bowl. Garnish with green onions and serve immediately.
Source: Perpetually Hungry
Share It To Your Friends!