Seared Duck Breast With Duck Gravy Recipe
- 2 duck breasts
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken or duck stock
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- mashed potatoes
- fresh parsley for optional garnish
- Using a sharp knife, score the duck breast skin on the diagonal. Rotate the breast ¼ turn and score again, creating diamonds without cutting into the meat. Lightly season the skin with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne.
- Place skin-side down in a cold non-stick or cast iron pan. Turn the heat to medium low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the breasts from the pan and place on a plate. If the breast is stuck to the pan, carefully use a metal spatula to remove it. Pour the rendered fat into a small bowl.
- Season the meat side with the same seasonings. Return to the pan meat-side down. Cook for 3 minutes. Remove to a plate, skin-side up and cover with foil.
- Pour the rendered fat back into the pan. Add the shallots and garlic and sauté, until tender over medium-low heat. Add the flour. Stir to make a roux, cooking for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken or duck broth, salt and pepper. Increase the heat to medium and stir until thickened. Stir in the butter until melted. Remove the foil from the duck and pour the juices into the gravy. Stir to combine.
- Slice the breast. It should be slightly pink. Plate with mashed potatoes and gravy. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Seared Duck Breast With Duck Gravy Recipe Reviewed by kuji hara on Thursday, May 11, 2017 Rating: