- 2 kilograms beef chuck, cubed
- 8 ounces (225 grams) tomato sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 pieces dahon ng laurel (bay leaves)
- 1 slice lemon with rind
- 1 piece large potato, cubed
- 1 piece large onion, sliced
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Beef is known to be a meat that is hard to chew. To avoid dissatisfaction, boil it prior to cooking. In a cooking pot, pour sufficient amount of water. Sprinkle with salt before putting the beef chucks. Boil it for at least 4 hours in low heat or until the meat becomes tender.
- Prepare the frying pan. Over medium heat, pour cooking oil and sauté onions and garlic. Add pre-boiled beef and stir thoroughly. Add ½ teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Once the meat is cooked, add the tomato sauce and water. Mix it evenly before covering the pot and simmering it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, potatoes, salt, and squeeze a slice of lemon. Give it another stir before covering the pot and simmering it until the potatoes are tender.
- To conclude the cooking process, add bay leaves on the mixture. Serve warm with a plate of rice.
- Mechado sounds like a Spanish dish that is served in restaurants across Spain. Despite its name, it is not. This is a unique Filipino dish that was invented by ingenious local cooks hundreds of years ago. It is one of the dishes greatly influenced by foreign flavors.
- Tomato sauce was introduced by the Spanish. Soy sauce is obviously from the Chinese. The cooking techniques, however, are indigenously from the Philippines.
- Like other tomato-based dishes, mechado is one of the choices of diners during a fiesta or celebration. Celebrating summer-month feasts is not complete with this dish. While most people choose to eat pork or chicken meat, beef meat is also tasty alternative that should not be taken for granted.
- Beef, if eaten in moderation, offers health benefits. Strong and lean muscles becomes a product of protein, which is rich in the livestock animal. For most people, eating red meat feels like heaven. This is because of iron, zinc and magnesium which help the body to absorb nutrients in other foods.
- One way to enjoy your festivities and have a good health is eating Mechadong Baka. Now is your time to cook this famous Filipino food.
Source: Philippine Cuisine
Share It To Your Friends!