- 1.5kg eye fillet of beef
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced, plus extra 2 spring onions, shredded
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced, plus extra 2 red chillies, sliced
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 large knobs of fresh root ginger, sliced
- 4 strips of orange zest
- ¾ cups soy sauce
- 100ml sake or dry sherry
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 litre good-quality beef stock
- 12-16 large fat rock oysters
- 500g green beans, trimmed, steamed
- 100g enoki or shiitake mushrooms
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Allow beef to come to room temperature. Trim any excess sinew or fat from fillet and season to taste.
- On a grill plate or large frying pan, sear the outside of the meat, turning to seal briefly on all sides.
- In a heavy-based oven-proof roasting dish with a lid place spring onions, chilli, star anise, cinnamon, garlic cloves, ginger, orange zest, soy sauce, sake or dry sherry, sugar and beef stock. Bring to a gentle simmer over a low heat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place beef fillet into roasting dish, coating with stock. Cover dish tightly and place in oven. Cook for about 30 minutes or until meat is tender. When cooked to your liking, place beef on a warmed serving platter. Cover with foil.
- Strain braising stock through a sieve; return to the pan. Add oysters with their juices. Warm for 1-2 minutes until firm and springy.
- Return meat to pan with sauce and oysters. Add green beans and mushrooms, coating with sauce. Sprinkle with extra spring onions, sliced chilli, coriander leaves and sesame seeds to serve.
Source: Mind Food
Share It To Your Friends!