Filipino Bicol Express Recipe
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 lb pork belly, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 4 tbsp roasted shrimp paste (this stuff stinks but brings such umami)
- 1 whole onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 14 fresh chilies (Thai Bird, Indian Green Chile, or Serrano) of your choice, stems removed, chiles sliced in half
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooked rice, optional
- Start by heating a medium sized pot (you will cook everything in this pot) on medium heat, then add the oil. Once the oil comes to temperature, add in the cubed pork belly.
- Cook the pork belly, turning along the way, until all sides become browned.
- Once the pork is browned, add in the onions, garlic, and ginger. Give a good stir, and continue to cook for about 3 minutes or so.
- Next add in the shrimp paste. Turn on your vent on high as this stuff has some funk (good funk), and continue to stir. Toss in the chilies, stir again, then add in the coconut milk.
- Bring this to a simmer, and cook for about 1 hour, on low, stirring along the way.
- Before serving, taste and season with any salt or pepper.
Source: Simple Comfort Food
Filipino Bicol Express Recipe Reviewed by kuji hara on Friday, May 19, 2017 Rating: