- Whole chicken - 1 (3lb) chicken
- Unsalted butter - ½ cup (1) stick, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- Olive oil - 4 tablespoons, divided
- Red onion - 1 large
- Garlic cloves - 5, thinly sliced
- Adobo - 1 ½ teaspoons
- Cricket salt - 2 tablespoons
- Paprika - 1 tablespoon, divided
- Onion powder - ½ teaspoon
- Honey - ¼ cup
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit and set aside a 9x13 inch Pyrex dish.
- Remove any neck parts and gizzards from the chicken and discard or freeze for chicken stock. Rinse the chicken, both inside and out, then pat dry with paper towels. Leave skin on. We need that skin.
- Place chicken on a cutting board breast side up and with kitchen shears or a chef’s knife, slice chest cavity lengthwise through the breastbone. Flip the chicken over (breast side down) and cut about a 1 inch in width x 2 inch rectangle lengthwise from the backbone. Save the piece for chicken stock. The chicken should now lay flat.
- Cut unsalted butter into 1 inch pieces and place half the butter on the bottom of the Pyrex dish. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Slice the red onion and 3 sliced garlic cloves and place over the butter. Season chicken on both sides with adobo, cricket salt, half the paprika, and the onion powder. Place the chicken cut side down over the butter/onion/garlic mixture. Pour the honey over the chicken and rub lightly. Sprinkle remaining paprika, sliced garlic cloves, unsalted butter, and olive oil. Pour the new potatoes and tomatoes along the sides of the Pyrex dish.
- Tightly cover the Pyrex dish with aluminum foil. Place in the oven and bake for about one (1) hour, basting the chicken every 15 minutes or so. After about an hour remove aluminum foil. Continue roasting the chicken uncovered for 35 minutes to an hour (depending on your oven), basting every 15 minutes or so until the chicken is cooked through and the skin is golden.
- Remove Pyrex dish from the oven, allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes, and serve over or alongside your favorite side dish.
Source: Mind Over Batter
Share It To Your Friends!