- 4- 5 pound whole bone-in chicken (skin on)
- Creole Salt to taste
- 2-3 Tablespoons cooking oil(Canola, vegetable)
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1½ Tablespoons finely diced Lemon Grass
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 Tablespoon minced thyme
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more
- ½ -1 medium onion diced
- 13 - 15oz canned coconut milk (regular or light)
- 1 cup water or more
- 1-teaspoon white pepper
- 1 – 2 pounds baby new potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 375° F
- Rinse chicken with water, inside and out, then pat dry with paper towels. Rub inside and out chicken with salt, white pepper slipping salt under skin where possible and rubbing some into cavities. so that it's uniformly distributed. Or you may use creole salt Like I did.
- In a small pan combine garlic, ginger, thyme, and lemon grass. Mix with about 1-2 tablespoon oil or coconut milk
- Generously baste inner cavities of chicken with lemon grass mixture, apply some of the liquid from the mixture to exterior of the chicken- then refrigerate until ready to cook.
- When ready to cook add oil to a Dutch oven (preferably with a tight fitting cover) over medium.
- Place the chicken, breast-side up, and let it brown for about 3-5 minutes, until skin is crispy Carefully flip the chicken, using a tong and crisp the other side for another 4 minutes or more per side. It usually takes me about 10-12 minutes to brown depending on chicken.
- Remove the Dutch oven
- From the heat, put the chicken on a plate, and pour off any excess fat from the chicken- leave about 2 Tablespoons.
- Add the remaining lemon grass mixture, curry powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika sauté until fragrant - about a minute. Be careful! Don’t let it burn.
- Add coconut milk and broth/water. Return chicken back to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Finally place chicken in oven, cover and let it cook, basting occasionally with it’s own liquid until chicken is tender . About 75 -90 minutes or until internal temperature reads 165 degrees
- Carve the chicken and serve over rice with a with sauce and vegetables. Garnish with the fresh parsley
Source: Immaculate Bites
Share It To Your Friends!