Cayenne Chocolate Donuts:
- 2/3 cup (50 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cup (255 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (213 g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/3 cup (35 g) coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup (122 g) dark chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Chocolate jimmies, as needed
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two standard 6-cavity donut pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift cocoa powder. Add all-purpose flour, brown sugar, cayenne, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract. Use a sturdy spatula to mix eggs into batter. Add buttermilk and melted coconut oil. Stir until incorporated and batter is smooth. Batter will be thick.
- Transfer batter to a piping bag fitted with a large round pipping tip. Pipe batter into prepared donut pans, filling cavities 2/3 full. Alternatively, use a spoon to fill donut pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until donuts have puffed up and a toothpick inserted in donuts comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 3 minutes. Invert donut pan to release donuts. If donuts are sticking to pan, tap edge of donut pan against a sturdy surface to release donuts. Allow donuts to cool on wire rack before dipping in chocolate.
- In a small pinch bowl, whisk together cinnamon and cayenne. Set aside.
- Gently melted chopped chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler set over simmering water. Remove from heat. Dip the smooth side of donut (the side exposed during baking), into the melted chocolate. Place on a wire rack and immediately drizzle chocolate jimmies on top. Dust cinnamon-cayenne mixture on top.
- Serve once assembled or wait for chocolate glaze to set. These donuts taste better the day after baking and glazing.
Source: The Little Epicurean
Share It To Your Friends!