- 1-1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large or 3 small garlic cloves, minced or put through a garlic press
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- 1/2 ground coriander or coriander seed, toasted and ground
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Masa Harina
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 quarts chicken broth or 2 cups Chili Gravy
- Combine the ground pork with the onion, garlic, chiles, coriander, pepper, oregano, chili powder and salt, mixing well.
- Beat the Masa Harina into the egg until well incorporated. Then pour egg mixture over meat mixture and combine well.
- For soup:
- Form the meat mixture into 1-inch balls. Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a Dutch oven or stockpot. Gently lower the meatballs into the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Garnish individual servings with chopped fresh cilantro.
- For an appetizer or main dish:
- Form the meat mixture into 2-inch balls.
- In a large skillet, fry the meatballs in 2 tablespoons corn oil, turning until browned on all sides. Remove meatballs from skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Drain grease from skillet. Return meatballs to skillet, add chili gravy, and simmer briefly until heated through.
- Makes 4 servings.
Source: Texas Cooking
Share It To Your Friends!