- 1 lb. chicken, cut into serving pieces (or any choice cuts of your liking like thighs, drumsticks or wings)
- 1 thumb-sized fresh ginger root, cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. patis (fish sauce)
- salt, to taste
- 4 to 5 cups water (or rice water – 2nd washing)
- 2 to 3 sayote (chayote squash), quartered (or green, unripe papaya or potatoes)
- 1 cup sili (chili) leaves or malunggay or substitute 1/2 lb. spinach
- vegetable oil
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add onions, stir-fry until softened and translucent.
- Add chicken cuts. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes until chicken colors slightly. Season with patis and salt.
- Pour in water (or rice water, if using). Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer until chicken is half-done. Add in chayote (or papaya or potatoes, if using). Continue simmering until chicken and vegetable are tender. Correct seasonings and then addsili leaves or malunggay or substitute. Stir to combine until well blended. Remove from heat.
- Let stand for a few minutes to cook the green vegetables. Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot.
Source: Filipino Easy Recipe
Share It To Your Friends!