Sticky Hoisin Chicken And Red Pepper With Onion Rice Recipe
For the chicken :
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts, sliced
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 bunch spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- 1 red pepper, cored and sliced
- 4 white mushrooms, sliced
- 200ml hot water
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce.
For the rice :
- 2 individual tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium eggs, lightly mixed
- 0.5 tsp Chinese 5 spice powder
- sea salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 200g white rice (I used Basmati), rinsed until the water runs clear
- 400ml good chicken stock
- 200g petit pois.
- Begin by heating one tbsp of the olive oil for the rice in a wok set over a moderate heat. Crack the eggs into a small bowl and add a pinch of sea salt, a pinch of black pepper and half a tsp of Chinese five spice powder. Whip lightly with a fork. Once the oil is hot, pour the egg into the wok and cook until an omelette has formed. Ensure the egg is solid (you can flip the omelette over if you wish) and remove to a warmed plate and reserve.
- Next, place 1 tbsp olive oil into both the wok (for the chicken) and a deep saucepan (for the rice). Heat the wok over a hot heat and the saucepan over a moderate heat. Once they are both hot, add the chicken to the wok and the brown onion to the saucepan, including a pinch of sea salt & black pepper to both.
- Cook the chicken until it begins to caramelise, then turn and cook again until it again begins to caramelise. It is not necessary to cook the chicken through at this stage, but it should have two golden sides, at least, after which remove from the pan and set aside somewhere warm.
- Cook the onion until transparent and softened and just beginning to caramelise.
- While the onion is cooking in the saucepan, add the spring onions, garlic, chilli and five spice to the wok and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Next, add the red pepper and white mushrooms to the wok and stir fry for another 2-3 minutes. Add the water, cover the wok and bring to a boil.
- In the meantime and while the water is coming to a boil in the wok, add the rinsed rice to the onion in the saucepan and stir to combine. Add the chicken stock and cover the saucepan, bringing the contents to a gentle boil. Allow the rice to cook approximately half way and add the petit pois. Cook the rice until just al dente, after which turn off the heat, leave the lid on and allow the rice to steam until the chicken is ready.
- Going back to the wok, uncover it and add the hoisin sauce, honey and soy sauce. Stir through and bring to a frisky boil. Re-introduce the chicken and stir through. You are now just waiting for the liquid to reduce in the pan, to a sticky, coating sauce. It's up to you how far you take it, I suggest you taste it as it reduces and stop when you're satisfied with the flavour and texture.
- Finally, chop the omelette into small pieces and stir into the rice.
- Serve onto warmed plates. You can set aside some of the green parts of the spring onion and a few chilli slices for garnish, if you wish.
- Printable version
Sticky Hoisin Chicken And Red Pepper With Onion Rice Recipe Reviewed by kuji hara on Friday, April 07, 2017 Rating: