Savory-Style Chicken Recipe
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 bundle lemon grass ('tanglad'), crushed
- Sesame oil
- 1 bundle lemon grass, crushed, chopped
- 1 head garlic, crushed
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp ngohiong powder (Chinese five-spice powder)
- Spring onions, chopped
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 3 tbsp. cooking oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. peanut butter (unsweetened)
- 1/8 tsp ngohiong powder(Chinese five-spice powder)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all marinade ingredients (except bay leaves) and put in a blender. Blend marinade mixture on low until lemongrass and garlic are finely chopped. Set aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Filter and discard solid particles of the marinade mixture using a sieve.
- Combine chicken, marinade mixture and bay leaves in a plastic zip-loc bag, marinate overnight in refrigerator.
- The following day, stuff chicken with lemongrass. Let stand for about 30 mins.
- Roast chicken in oven at 425°F for 1 1/2 hour (Note: a better way is to use a probe thermometer and when the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken reaches 175°, pull the chicken from the oven).
- Prepare basting sauce by mixing 2 tbsp. sesame oil to the marinade, baste chicken in oven every 15-20 mins.
- Roast until golden brown.
- Serve with the prepared gravy.
- Mix cooking oil and 1/4 cup flour.
- Stir mixture in a sauce pan over low heat for about 4 minutes, until the color changes to brown.
- Mix the remaining flour into the chicken broth and pour in to the pan.
- Add ngohiong powder (5 spice), peanut butter
- Bring the mixture to a boil and stir cook for a few minutes until the mixture thickens
- Add more broth if necessary.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Savory-Style Chicken Recipe Reviewed by kuji hara on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 Rating: