- 2 3 to 4 lbs pork shoulder butts, room temperature
- 5 large oranges, juiced
- 2 brown onions, sliced
- 4 - 6 cups stock, chicken or pork
- 1 bunch of cilantro, stemmed
- 6 garlic cloves
- 6 bay leaves
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed and ground with shells removed
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 300 degrees.
- In a cast oven dutch oven place the room temperature pork, sprinkle the kosher salt until well covered. Next sprinkle all of the spices over the meat. Pour in the orange juice and stock. Cover with sliced onions, cilantro, garlic and bay leaves. Cover and cook for 6 - 8 hours or until the pork is fork tender.
- Turn oven to broil. On a rimmed baking sheet place the chunks of pork and break apart with the tongs. Spoon ½ - 1 cup of cooking liquid on to pork being sure to include some of the rendered fat. Place pork on the top rack and broil for 10 minutes or until top layer of pork is well caramelized.
- Remove and let sit 5 minutes prior to serving.
Source: Jessica Burns
Share It To Your Friends!