Ham And Cheese Potato Cakes Recipe
- 12 oz (340 gr) of mashed potatoes*
- 1 cup (250 gr) of bread flour, plus a couple of tablespoons for the table
- 1 packet (1/4 oz, 7gr) of fast acting instant yeast
- 1 egg
- salt to taste
- 12 slices of ham (about 4.25 oz, 120gr)
- 12 small, round thick slices of provolone cheese (about 6.25 oz, 180 gr)
- oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes with ⅔ cup of bread flour and the instant yeast. Mix to combine.
- Add the egg and a little bit of salt to taste. Mix to combine again.
- Add the rest of the flour and mix. The dough needs to be soft and only slightly sticky. Add more flour if needed.
- Move the dough to a clean, floured counter. Knead quickly and roll out to about ¼ inch (0.6 cm) thickness.
- With a round cookie cutter (or the top of a cup) cut out as many discs as you can. Mine are 2.5 inch (6.35 cm) in diameter each. Make sure to re-roll the scraps. You should get about 24 discs.
- Wrap each thick slice of cheese with one slice of ham.
- Place between two potato dough discs and seal well the edges.
- Warm up the oil for frying, test with a wooden spoon or a little piece of dough to see if the oil is ready for frying.The oil will be at the right temperature when little bubbles forms around the dough and it gradually changes color to golden. Fry the potato patties a few at a time, turning them around, until deep golden on both sides.
- Drain well from the oil, and serve hot.
Source: Honest Cooking
Ham And Cheese Potato Cakes Recipe Reviewed by kuji hara on Saturday, April 15, 2017 Rating: