- 2large onions, sliced thinly
- 200g chickpea flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 2tablespoons rice flour
- 1teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2teaspoon black onion seeds
- 1⁄2teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄2teaspoon coriander, ground
- 100ml water
- 750ml vegetable oil
- Put the vegetable oil into a large pan and heat over a medium to high heat.
- Make the batter: In a large bowl, add the chickpea flour, baking powder, rice flour, turmeric, black onion seeds, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and the water. Mix together well and then add the sliced onion - mix the onion through until well coated.
- Check the temperature of the oil by dropping a small cube of bread in - it should brown fairly slowly - not burn or go dark brown straight away.
- Carefully drop spoons of the bhaji batter in to the oil, do NOT overcrowd as they will stick together. Fry them in small batches for 1 to 2 minutes until they are a golden brown and crispy. Remove them with a slotted spoon and allow them to drain on a paper covered plate in a warm oven.
- Repeat until all the bhaji batter is finished and they are all cooked.
- Sprinkle over a little salt and serve straight away with coriander chutney or cucumber raita.
Share It To Your Friends!